Friday, April 22, 2011

Just Some Cakes

So I love to bake, I will usually bake something yummy once a week, and it always brings me a weird sense of happiness! Also, I find that when I do bake, I don't feel the need to eat any of it, it's satisfying enough just to make it. I'm odd. These are a couple cakes I've made as of late.

I made this cake for my little sister Lizzy for her 10th birthday. This was my very first time making and using fondant. It was easier than I thought, but still was a little difficult. It did not turn out perfect, but I learned a lot. Lizzy was the designer, she picked the colors and the shapes. I used a new recipe that I found in Collette Peter's book called "Cakes to Dream On". Her book is amazing! She does the most amazing cakes, however, the cake tasted like a pancake with syrup. Kinda weird and unexpected, but not gross. I don't think I will use this recipe again in the future though...

I made this cake pictures above about 2 weeks ago. I originally saw this featured on another blog called I Am Baker. She said it was super easy to do, and I knew I had to try it! I'm in-love with this cake! Hers looked better than mine, but I will say that my cake was literally falling apart when I was piping these huge roses on. It was still so fun though, and I love the results I got. The tutorial link is here. You should definitely give it a try!

5 comments:

  1. So how does it feel to be amazing?!?! Seriously, what CAN'T you do?! The cakes are incredible!!! I have only attempted one cool cake before, a castle for Teya's 3rd birthday, but it was so gratifying that I keep planning on doing one again. Keep posting pictures of your handy-work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so here's the thing... Unless things go completely haywire I will get married someday.
    And I was already planning on asking you to do my pictures because you're family and you are REALLY good at what you do.
    But now I'm thinking you need to do my make-up and cake too. Is that too much to ask? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megs I am so proud of you for all your wonderful accomplishments...having a darling baby, your beautiful makeup work, and those yummy cakes! We need to play...miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are the best! Thanks for leaving such sweet comments! And YES Allie, we need to play!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW that cake is gorgeous!!! That looks amazing! I miss you guys- I need to call you and catch up!

    ReplyDelete